Along with our commercial associate Ecolab™, Kasiiya has established procedures to ensure the regular sanitization of our property and buildings. We will undergo a full resort deep clean prior to reopening, and additional strictly-enforced measures to protect against COVID19 will be carried out in line with the latest scientific and technological guidelines. Once reopened, our enhanced cleaning standards will continue to be managed and regularly reviewed by our safety management team.
1. Protective procedures for Kasiiya guests
- Several sanitizing stations are located throughout Kasiiya to allow guests to remain disinfected throughout the day.
- The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing public areas with Ecolab™ EPA certified products has been increased to once each hour.
- All surfaces at Kasiiya, including the tables, cutlery etc are sanitized with Ecolab products to COVID19 standards before and after each service.
- There is only one public surface that the guest could touch in both the lunch/breakfast and the dining area – the doorknob of the restaurant restroom.
- The design of Kasiiya insists on the feeling of freedom - having a minimum of walls and doors.
- Should any guest require, they will always have their own table 2 meters away from other guests and completely alone with nature’s beauty.
- All Kasiiya staff and contractors receive continuous and comprehensive training on hygiene and cleanliness standards and will undergo further training prior to reopening, as well as advanced training specific to their functional area at the hotel.
- All staff have been trained to identify the symptoms of COVID19 and instructed not to come to work if they are feeling unwell or to contact a manager if they notice a colleague or guest displaying or complaining of a cough, fever, shortness of breath, chills, a new loss of taste or smell, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat or other known COVID19 symptoms.
- Kasiiya will finance the testing for both the guests and the staff.
- There will be no financial consequences should any staff member have to stay at home to protect colleagues and guests.
- Staff will always wear masks. Depending on the specific functional area, the use of gloves and face shields will also be mandatory.
- Staff are trained to wash their hands every hour for 20 seconds with anti-bacterial soap.
- We’ve never believed in traditional check-ins at Kasiiya and this continues when we re-open in December 2020. We will not request your passport, a signed document or credit card and communication will remain touchless throughout your stay.
- We unfortunately will not open the door of your car for you to ensure all surfaces you come into contact with will have only been touched by you.
- Your luggage will be disinfected on arrival at Kasiiya using Ecolab-certified products, passed under UV light and left in the porch of your suite.
- Cool-scented facial towels will be replaced by disposable wet tissues.
- We conduct a disinfecting deep clean of each tented suite. For your peace of mind, all suites are sealed following the deep clean for you to break on arrival.
- Our rooms allow for multiple living arrangements depending on the outside temperature, humidity conditions and time of day. Our guests are free to use the ceiling fan together with open windows - all equipped with screens - which will create air movement and keep the guest comfortable and in tune with the environment. The solar energy AC unit can provide additional comfort if the temperature is still too high.
- The room is designed for bespoke comfort, benefitting from the cool breeze, and through ventilation while always in direct contact with the surrounding nature.
- Our strict protocol for sanitizing the suites includes the following technologies: full disinfectant using foggers and ozonators as well as a UV light kit for high-touch areas and objects (such as fan controls).
- Our staff use a new pair of gloves, hat, shoe covers and mask for each visit. All PPE will be disposed of after the cleaning of each suite.
- Throughout your stay a sanitizing station will be positioned next to the entrance of each suite allowing you to disinfect the doorknob for psychological comfort. A sanitizing kit, including wipes, gel, face masks and thermometer, will be available inside.
- For consistency, the same housekeeping staff will be assigned to your suite for the entirety of your stay.
- At check-in the guest will be offered all options in terms of how many times the guest wishes our staff to come into their room. The default is two cleaning visits per day and two visits from the quality control and the laundry if requested. We can reduce this to one visit per day according to the guest’s preference.
- A pre-shift briefing at the start of every shift has been added to the “kitchen standard operating procedures” to remind staff about handwashing, physical distance, cough & sneeze protocol, touching, cleaning and constant disinfecting.
- It is mandatory for all kitchen staff to wear a mask, face shield and gloves at all times in the kitchen.
- Kitchen staff will go through extensive training for using and handling PPE, as well as on proper hand hygiene and best practice procedures for food contact and non-food contact surfaces.
- The menu and kitchen layout has been extensively redesigned to ensure a single member of staff at each workstation with a minimum of two meters between other members of staff.
- Deep cleaning and sanitizing frequency within the kitchen will increase to four times a day - at the end and the beginning of each shift.
- Cleaning and sanitizing procedures will focus on disinfecting high-touch, non-food contact surfaces, particularly in high traffic areas. Certified Ecolab™ EPA´s criteria products will be used in the kitchen.
- Extra hand-washing stations, towel dispensers, no-touch close-lid trash receptacle, and hand sanitizers have been installed in convenient and highly visible locations inside the kitchen.
- Graphic signage has been added to remind staff to not enter the kitchen if ill, along with appropriate steps to take should they feel ill as well as reminders to wear PPE at all times.
- Schedules will also be rearranged to ensure a physical distance of two meters between all members of staff.
- Regular kitchen doorknobs have been replaced with folding doors with easy to clean push plates.
The Kasiiya transportation fleet
- The entire fleet we use for airport transfers and external tours will be disinfected after each use, using electrostatic sprayers with Ecolab™ certified products. Our SUV will also be disinfected in the same way before and after guests board.
- As ever, the focus of all cleaning will be on high touch surfaces of the car such as door handles, window buttons, locks, armrests, cushions and seatbelts.
- While at Kasiiya, all our electric 4x4 buggies will be disinfected with Ecolab™ certified products daily.
- A private SUV and driver will be assigned to any guests booking transportation or external tours of the country. We will guarantee exclusive use of this vehicle and driver.
- Our spa is a single open tent in the jungle, open on all sides. The space is designed for bespoke comfort, benefitting from the cool breeze and through-ventilation whilst fully immersed in the surrounding nature.
- The spa does not incorporate hydrotherapy elements (such as a Jacuzzi, steam room or sauna).
- Some treatments have been removed from spa menus as a preventive measure in-line with global scientific recommendations.
- All facial therapies have been removed from the menu to ensure therapists do not touch your face during massage sessions.
- We will leave 45 minutes between each session in order to apply a strict protocol for sanitizing the spa which includes applying disinfectant with foggers and ozonation twice a day, UV light tools for high-touch deep clean areas and objects.
- Only one person or couple will be able to attend the spa each hour.
- Guests will be asked to use a mask during all treatments, while facing down on the massage bed a more comfortable integrated mask will be replaced for each guest, this mask will not be fixed on the face.
- The therapist will wash their hands, forearm and elbow for 20 seconds immediately before starting the session.
- The therapist will wear gloves, a face shield and mask during all therapies.
- Both our therapists live on campus and therefore have very little contact with the outside world. Before their arrival at Kasiiya, they will be tested like all other staff on the campus.
- Our toilets reduce the cloud of airborn particles to a minimum as the vacuum mechanism used on our dry flush toilets is to suck away solids, liquids and air unlike the slow water flush of ordinary toilets.
- We also have implemented a new procedure that will insure that our two public restrooms are cleaned and sanitised after each use.
2. Protective procedures for Kasiiya staff
- Our concept as a hotel and isolated location mean 80% of all Kasiiya staff live on the premises on our campus. We have been able to establish two working teams. Team one will remain and work in the campus for four weeks and team two will rest. At the end of week four, they will rotate. This scheduling model will lower the risk of contamination from the “outer world”.
- Each member of the team will be tested the day before their arrival.
- The campus surroundings and the staff tents will be disinfected daily with thermostatic sprayers using Ecolab™ EPA certified products.
- All working stations will have sanitizing elements for their own cleaning.
3. Procedures to monitor and identify potential risks as early as possible
- We will be asking all guests to undergo a temperature-check upon arrival. If on arrival or during the guest’s stay at Kasiiya, a guest is showing a high temperature, or any other symptoms consistent with COVID-19, the guest is required to inform a member of staff immediately.
- Kasiiya will organize a health professional from the government of Costa Rica to do a test. As of June 2020, test results take about 24 hours to be available. We foresee that by December 2020, when Kasiiya will re-open, this period will be even shorter.
- While awaiting the test results, the guest will be cared for in a separate designated room, this will depend on the decision made by the representative of the ministry of health. Any part of the party travelling with the guest showing COVID-19 symptoms also needs to remain isolated. Should the test come back positive, Kasiiya will follow the Ministry of Health procedures.
- As we are an extraordinary remote property, the authorities may allow the guest to stay at Kasiiya while waiting for the test result.
- Please contact Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out about the latest procedures. In accordance with those practises, Kasiiya will assist the guest with onward care as per paragraph 4. “Procedures to contain and manage potential risks”.
- While at Kasiiya, any staff who exhibits one of the listed symptoms of COVID19 will be instructed to self-isolate and immediately notify their manager.
- The staff will be put immediately on paid leave.
4. Procedures to contain and manage potential risks
- All Kasiiya staff and contractors have been given clear instructions on how to respond swiftly to all presumed cases of COVID19 while at Kasiiya. We are ready to quickly respond and provide support to our guests and staff in the case of a positive COVID19 test result.
For guests testing positive
- Kasiiya staff will assist and accompany the guest during the entire process. Firstly, the guest will be transported to the closest hospital for an official test.*
- If the guest tests positive but does not need to remain in the hospital, we will transfer the guest to one of the most recommended hospitals in San José (3 ½ hours driving).
- Kasiiya will assist in finding a hotel or a vacation-rental in the city where the guest will feel comfortable and safe during the convalescence process. Our commitment is to help the guest all the way during this process.
- We do have a Kasiiya ambassador in San José, that can help the guest with day to day tasks like purchasing groceries and medicines, etc. A member of our management team will be in contact daily with the guest to make sure they are ok and to see if they need any help.
- *Extra services related to COVID19 convalescence process will be covered by the guest and not Kasiiya.
For Kasiiya staff testing positive
- Staff who test positive for COVID19 will be required to quarantine for at least 21 days.
- Staff who are well but have a household member with COVID19 are also instructed to self-quarantine for 21 days.